As participants, readers, and casual observers of this blog, we all agree to the following:
- We will observe tenants of basic human decency. The Golden Rule, y’all: treat others as you would have them treat you!
- We will not take advantage of the anonymity the internet affords us. We are not cowards. We will conduct ourselves in a manner that reflects our best selves.
- We will question the ideology, not the individual. “Feminism makes me uncomfortable because…” instead of “I hope you BURN you cunty bitch whore hairy legged lesbian man hater!!!111!!!”
- We will call out the action, not the individual. “That is racist because…” instead of “You’re a racist!”
- We will not respond to opposing viewpoints until we have a) taken several deep breaths b) reread for clarity and c) formulated a response to the ideology/action, not the individual.
- We will address issues at the local level first, avoiding sweeping generalizations. “Religious extremism is…” instead of “Everyone from that religion is a terrorist!!!!!”
- We will educate each other gently, remembering that we are all doing the best we can with what we have. “Have you considered…” instead of “You’re an incompetent, ignorant, ingrate who is not worth a moment of my time.”
- We will all do the best we can with what we have. “From my perspective and experiences…” instead of “I don’t know anything about this but I will shout my opinion loudly!”
- We will do our best to act as humans worthy of participating in the miracle of conscious existence.
UPDATE: Opposing opinions are welcomed and encouraged, but they must be presented rationally and calmly. Personal attacks, harassment, bullying, judgment, and proselytizing will not be permitted here.
As always, I reserve the right to remove any content, at any time, without notice or explanation.